LWDSS is an atmospheric profiling instrumentation, integration, decision support, and visualization system that provides real-time continuous observations and nowcasting tools to support spaceports and ranges. LWDSS components include:
- Meteorological instrumentation for continuous measurements of atmospheric conditions at the surface and aloft
- Real-time monitoring of lightning activity and triggered lightning potential
- Continuous monitoring of precipitation ranging from thunderstorms to snow using weather radar
- Provision of high-resolution WRF forecasts including wind velocities up to 100 kft Above Ground Level (AGL)
- Detailed forecast planning and meteorological support starting on-site at T-2 days through launch and recovery
- Custom decision support products designed around vehicle and launch criteria
- Meteorological support leading up to and including Day of Launch and recovery.